Pages - Menu

Thursday, September 12, 2013

Blast to the Past

About a week ago I was searching through our computer for an old paper of mine when I stumbled across a folder that was full of my old writings.

 I had to share them
a) because they make me laugh and
b) because they interest me.

 I don't remember writing these at all. Especially the first one below - I have no idea what the story was supposed to be about. I think I wrote it when I was nine.




Life as We Knew It
     Chapter One: Hayden McPatrick
“Come on guys!  Were going to be late!” I shouted up the stairs. A dull silence responded.
“Fine,” I said to myself, “Let them be late!”I quickly got out the cereal and poured myself some. I ate quickly and when I got up to put my bowl away I glanced at the clock.
“Guys! Hurry! It’s already Nine Fifteen!” I heard a loud thump from upstairs.
Then the sound of feet thumping down the stairs drowned out the silence. I busied myself as my friends walked into the room.
Courtney walked over and grabbed the cereal box. She frowned at my smiling face, “Not all of us are morning people.”
I laughed and glanced out the window, “My carpools here. Bye Courtney, Kelsie.” I said to my sleepy friend.
“Bye.” She looked as if she was still asleep.
“Bye Hayden! Have fun at work!”  My older brother Drake walked into the room. I smiled and strode out of the room.
“Wait Hayden!” A voice said behind me. I turned around to see my boyfriend Ryan running toward me.
“Where’s the fire?” I joked.
“Huh? Anyway I was wondering if you are still coming to dinner tonight.”
I groaned and responded, “Do I have to? I’m really busy at work...”
He stared at me, “Yes it’s important! Very! Please come.”
I sighed. “Fine. On one condition.” Ryan nodded. I continued, “You will stay by me and protect me from


That's it??? Protect her from what?? I also think its funny because I was nine trying to write an adult character. Nice try, child me, nice try.

This next one is from 2008. I was in seventh grade then. (I wish my essays now could be this short!)

**

Gabriella Sloan                                                              November 18, 2008
         
          My family is very important to me.  They all support me in sports and school.  If I ever need help or advice my family can help me.  They all love me and make me happy.
          When sports start in school, my family especially my Aunts, teach me all the rules and help me practice.  They help me get better.  Even thought I stink at a lot of sports my family never gives up.  My dad will keep me outside for hours practicing basketball, volleyball, soccer, etc.  
          Every night someone usually has to help me with my homework.  Whether it is math, English, or science, I have a certain family member to help me.  I don’t understand science or math.  My step-dad and mom never give up on me.
          If I’m ever sad or grumpy my family can always cheer me up.  Whether it’s just talking or playing a game with me, they try to do whatever it takes to make me feel better.  They all love me and want the best for me.
          My family loves me and supports me.  They never give up trying to make me happy.  I’m very thankful for my family.

***


I was so cute. What happened?
I just die a little when I read the opening and closing lines of the one below (yet again from grade 7). 

***
Gabbie Sloan
7.1
Personal Narrative
            Have you ever gotten something stuck in your skin?  A lot of stuff has gotten stuck in my skin.  But I remember one time it was really bad!
            The summer when I was ten, I would always go over to the house of my friend, Job.  Going to his house was always fun because he had five brothers, a lake, and a go-cart. 
            One morning, Job, Noah, Paul, and I were super bored.
            “Do you guys want to go swimming,” Paul asked excitedly.
            Of course we all said that we did, and we ran to the lake.  The lake was huge.  The water looked pure black, and it was very choppy and cold.  We decided to play a game that they had made up.  It was called cannonball.  You had to run down the hill and jump as far as you could into the water.  But, I didn’t know that the slope was covered in gravel.  I watched curiously as Job and Noah ran and threw themselves into the dark water.
            “Go, Gabbie,” Paul commanded, eagerly waiting for his turn.  Biting my lip nervously, I sprinted down the hill and leaped into the water.  As I jumped off of the edge, I barely noticed a sharp thrusting feeling against my left heel.  I paddled slowly in the lake as Paul jumped in.
            “Why didn’t you jump from that part,” I asked, pointing to the spot from where I jumped.
            “It’s covered in gravel!  It’s too rocky,” Paul said, climbing out of the water.  Suddenly I was aware of a sharp throbbing in my foot.
            “Ow,” I whispered to myself, sitting on their dock.  Inspecting my foot, I gasped when I saw the dark red blood pouring from the wound.  It hurt really, really badly. 
            “Um, guys?” I whimpered, frantically waving the boys over.  A rock the size of my thumbnail was wedged deep into my foot.
            “Uh-oh,” Paul said, looking down at my bloody foot.  Tears streaked down my face.  I hate blood!  We all stared at each other, too freaked out to move and not knowing what to do.  Finally, I called out in a weak voice, to the boys’ mom, “Lynn, come here!”  My foot hurt so badly that I had to bite my lip to stop from shrieking.  I remember being scared that I was going to die.
            “What’s wrong?” Lynn asked, hurrying over.
            “My foot!” I gasped, and held my foot out.  Lynn quickly picked my up like she was holding a small infant.
            “Does it hurt?” She asked, shoving me into her car.
            “Yes!” I wailed, pulling my seatbelt over my head.
            The house was only a few minutes away.  When she pulled the car to a stop, she immediately jumped out and pulled me with her.  Again Lynn carried me, this time to her bathroom inside.  Quickly she dug tweezers into my foot and yanked the sharp rock out.  I yelped when she poured the germ killer on the wound.  Lynn stuck a bandage over the hole and started to clean up the mess.
            “Can I keep it?” I asked, starting at the large rock.
            “Sure,” said Lynn, and she put it in a bag.
            Though the rock is no longer with me, I will never forget how much pain it caused.




Well, I hope you enjoyed this little blast to the past, folks. (Blast to the past is also our homecoming theme this year! Booyah!)

I'm sorry I haven't been posting much. I'm busy being a senior. I love it, just so you know. I love my classes: Photography, Foods, Bio II, English (Brit lit, baby), Calculus (I do not love calculus. My teacher is just really funny. If you love calculus I think you need to reevaluate your priories), Comp 110, U.S. History, and being a Teacher's assistant. I've had quite a bit of homework and with my job I don't have much free time to write, which is sad.

Very, very sad. I miss it.

But I am enjoying my senior year.



2 comments:

  1. You are adorable and were probably a better writer when you were nine than I am now. Love you Gab!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. <3 love you too, Aunt Missie! Thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete