Pages - Menu

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Why My English Class is Making Me Super Sad

We read the Pit and the Pendulum in my English class. For those of you who don't know, it's about a victim of the Spanish Inquisition who is tortured. He faces either death by jumping into a pit or being slashed to death by a pendulum.

It was written by Edgar Allen Poe, so you know right then it's going to be darker than all the 50 Shades of Grey combined. Poe's stories always involve torture, death, torture and death, or burying people inside walls.

He is one of my greatest inspirations.

Getting back to the point. Anyway, after we read the short story my teacher assigned us a project. About torture. I got women's rights in Muslim countries. I have spent many hours reading about domestic violence, rape, and really really sad stuff that these women go through.

It is very, very sad.

I can't even look at pictures for my project because of this overwhelming sadness.

I don't want to give you the gory details or show you the pictures, but I just want to let you know how real gender-based violence is. Women around the world are tortured and persecuted. They do not have medical rights or are allowed to drive cars, make decisions, or even uncover their faces in public.

There are many things I don't even want to write about because they are just so awful.

To find out how to stop gender-based violence you can visit:


http://www.amnesty.org/en/womens-rights/background-information
 OR

http://www.amnesty.org/en/womens-rights 


Both of these websites give ways you can help women around the world in gaining freedom and ending torture. If you do not think it is an issue that matters, I urge you to read this article about a 16 year old girl from Morocco:


http://www.amnesty.org/en/news/bias-penal-code-puts-women-and-girls-danger-morocco-2013-03-01



1 comment:

  1. I feel for you! In my English class I read an amazing book called The Story of My Life: an Afghan Girl on the Other Side of the Sky, and I was devastated after researching the same things. Read it its such an amazing book!!

    ReplyDelete