Pages - Menu

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

PROM 2013 BABY

I had prom a while ago.

For those of you who don't know what prom is, http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary defines it as "a formal dance given by a high school or college class." 

Basically, you get all dolled up, go eat some overpriced food, dance for four hours, and then go home. 

But, my prom was way more fun than that, or else I wouldn't be doing a blog post about it.

I got asked to prom like 6 billion months ago. At my school, finding a prom date is an elaborate process, in which one may have to work for hours or spend quite a deal of money. My date, Job, actually did it in a really unique way.

I really like the novel Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins, so he gave me a code that said: 
PAGE
LINE
WORD LETTER

and then a piece of paper filled with numbers. I had to go through each number and by using the code, I slowly but surely figured out what all the letters spelled. 
WILL LOU GO TO PROM WITH ME?

I told him I didn't know what Lou had to say about it, but I'd be happy to go. 

(He did a really good job. It's acceptable that he messed up once :)


So when the day of prom rolled around, I knew it was going to be a long day. For every high school dance, one must go through a complete transformation.
(Notice, I also gained a fellow human in the process). 


The story of my getting ready for prom is not for this post, it would probably be called The Time I Broke Down After a Hair Catastrophe but a Nice Lady Saved the Day. I'll spare you from that right now and get down to business. 

After Job came and picked me up, we headed to get our pictures taken with our little group.

The girls: 


The boys (minus one who was running a little late): 



And, of course, I took many pictures with my family. 





And then it was time for the journey to prom.

There were four of us in Job's car on the thirty minute drive (Kelly, Char Char, Job, and myself) and it was a blast. 

I'm really weird and when there are silences in a vehicle, I do this thing that I have entitled 'car singing,' which is when I make up words to songs and try to hit notes only a dolphin can successfully hear. In my opinion, they all enjoyed my car singing immensely, even if they deny it themselves. 



   We also had energy drinks. Job is a coffee person and I'm on a strict no-caffeine diet, but it was prom, so I let my rule slip a little bit.

But we finally got to the building where the dance was.
The day before six or seven girls (including myself) got out of school for two glorious hours in order to go decorate the building. Let me put something into perspective for you. My class has almost 30 kids in it. About 12 of us have fund raised the money for prom, and we needed enough money to pay for the class ahead of us, which has about 60 people in it.
-
This past year hasn't been easy. There's been a lot of fund raisers, but we finally managed to raise enough money to try to give the seniors the best prom. Many of them said it was awful, but in my opinion - prom was really fun.

I was ready to have a blast at my junior prom and at the end of the night not only was I one of the two final couples dancing but I was really proud of all the hard work we had done for three years.
All I know is that next year, no matter if the prom is great or a bust, I will thank the class behind us for putting so much time and effort into making our night great.
-

 SO WE FINALLY GOT TO PROM. We had an hour to kill before dinner started, so we pretty much wandered around.

My group was a blast, of course. We were the group of people who did the strange dances all night long - the shopping cart, the Q-tip, the sprinkler, ect.


Just being in their group made the night. 

Finally we got to eat food, which was delicious. Delish. (Is that the shortened form of delicious. Delic just looks . . . funny). 

Also, there was a chocolate fountain. 
Enough said.







And then came the dancing. We of course did all the usual dances. The electric slide, wobble, Gangam style, the Cupid shuffle. All that jazz. We also used the photo booth excessively. The photos from that will be included in the end. 

Job and I were the second-to-last couple of the dance floor. I didn't want to leave. The final song was 22 by Taylor Swift. I didn't even care. I was happy and having a blast. 

In that moment, we were infinite. 
(That quote is from Perks of Being a Wallflower, which is written by Stephen Chbosky. GO READ IT).

I was sad when we finally left the dance. 

But then we went and watched movies at my friend's house with the group. It was really great. 

Prom was really, really great. 

Cue photos. 












Final note:
Never watch Snakes on a Plane.



Have a great night.


2 comments:

  1. Oh snap!

    I like the pic of you with your awesome neighbors. . .

    A

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite was of you and your wonderful Grandma Kathy

    ReplyDelete