Pages - Menu

Tuesday, October 28, 2014

in translation

I've officially lived in the South for two months now. 

I feel like I need one of those guys from Animal Planet or the Travel Channel who go to Africa or into the wild or something.

"It's day 67 since I made my transition into this harsh environment. Food is low. Water is scarce. It's been a month away from all I've ever known and my body is starting to feel it. More and more I've found myself taking to tree frogs and fighting the urge to swim with the crocodiles. I don't know how much longer I can survive . . . I'm starting to forget what it means to be human." 

I didn't do those shows any justice. 

Sorry, Bear Grylls. 

But, in all seriousness, the South isn't killing me or making me become a savage. If anything it's making me realize my own savageness from growing up as a Northerner. Just know (Mom) that I really do love living in the South. The weather is beautiful, the people are kind, and my worldview has exploded. 

After being here for the past few months, I've started to pick up on quite a few local phrases that are unique  to this part of the country. I'll have a whole other post dedicated to those, coming shortly. I've also gotten quite good at translating the Southern accent, so to speak. I find it quite endearing. 

I wanted to share some of my favorite pronunciation differences I've noticed since coming down here. There are truly very many so I just stuck with a few. I hope you enjoy them and that I, phonetically, did them some sort of justice.

On the right is the English Northern Pronunciation of the word. 
The left is pretty self-explanatory. 

             Northern vs Southern



"Ya'll wouldn't believe how many wells I saw on my cruise last summer."

Uh, how nice. 

#intranslation 





No comments:

Post a Comment